Friday, May 16, 2008

My Tribute To Rountree

Pauline J. Rountree
July 06, 1913 - May 15, 2008

Last night my mom called me to tell me that my Rountree had died. Her real name is Pauline Rountree, but she is Rountree to me. She was my daytime babysitter for much of my childhood. I loved Rountree. I have very fond memories of my childhood because of her. I will always remember that she would color with me. I think that is why I loved her so much. She focused on me, and actually talked to me. She would color Barbie's hair with with multiple shades of blond and gold to give her highlights. At four- I thought this was amazing. I like to think of her as one of my first art influences.

I will also never forget her baloney sandwiches and fritos that she had in her lunch. I never wanted her baloney, but she always offered me her fritos. I was never a big fan of fritos, but I think I liked them because she had them. She made me soup and made me see myself in the bottom of the bowl before I could say I was done.

Rountree was also the official mender of my blankey. I would constantly wear it around my neck as a cape. Unfortunately it had a bit of abuse and needed some tlc often. She never got on to me about it and always did an amazing job of fixing it.

She played the eukalalee and loved the Price is Right. She was great at crocheting, and always had a smile. She was one of the happiest people I have ever known. I am sad to say goodbye to Rountree tomorrow. She lived a long and wonderful life. She was in her nineties, and didn't remember many people the last year of her life, but I will always remember her sweet and energetic spirit. She is in heaven with Dado (her husband Donald) now, and her sweet dog Tinsy.

Love you Rountree!

No comments:

 

bb code
Computer Shopping