Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Whirl of a Weekend: Flowers, Easter and a Cold

I had a longer Easter Break than intended. Greg came down with a cold on Thursday and ended up staying home from work. I of course kissed him goodbye as usual thinking it was just allergies. I woke up Friday morning rather early and was so excited to not have to go to work! I raced down to Hughes Plant Farm in Tyler. It is the best place to buy plants. It is a wholesale place and the prices can not be beat! We are talking $9.00 a flat! That is like less than 50 cents a flower! Best deals ever... I enjoyed filling up my wagon.

I even spotted a Siamese twin Gerber Daisy- of course I took him home.

My very full car.
After about 7 hours in the yard on Friday I was done! I had to clean out about 5 flower beds alone, since Greg was sick. Not so fun, but I planted lots of goodies in my window flower box. Red Hot Sallys, Gerbers, Zinnias and some fun little blue things.

More Zinnias, Geraniums, Begonias, Snap Dragons and Amaryllis from last year...

I can never grow anything in this bed, so I put in some Miracle Grow, lots of Dahlias (I feel in love with the Dahlia Garden at the Flower Conservatory in San Francisco), Begonias and Lantana.

I've never really decked out my patio with flowers before b/c I tend to forget to water them, but I am making it my personal goal to water everything every day. Notice Greg's UT gnome that I got him for Christmas this past year...

As you can see, I still have some work to do on the patio. I have another flat to plant and just ran out of Miracle Grow...

We planted this rose bush 4 years ago when we bought our house. It is so happy and healthy this year!

It is called Hot Cocoa.
I'll take pictures of the other rose bushes when they get going. They are not quite as happy...


Then on Saturday, with very sore quads from gardening, I went to my parent's house for an early Easter lunch. I brought the favorite Janie's Pound Cake from Tyler. YUM!

I got to sit next to Miss Sarah Elizabeth, my niece.

She reminds me a lot of me. We call her my mini me. I wish I could just take her home with me and call her mine!

Greg was very sick and stayed home, but he had his own Easter Egg.

I also got to hold Miss Alison Renee, also my niece. She is adorable!
And even had a bunny on her rear.

The Easter Bunny came! Look by the wagon wheel!
Sarah found lots of eggs...

Then hopped on the swing with Pa, my dad.

They like to play :)

I swear niece #1, Katie Rose was there too- she was just being camera shy. I'll try to post them in their Easter outfits later. My mom said she took a million photos, which I am sure she did.

Anyways, about 2 in the morning on Sunday I got a terrible sore throat. My little make out session with Greg on Thursday morning came back to bite me. I was miserable all day Sunday and Monday and just made it back to work. No church, no Easter dress- nada. Just movies. Mamma Mia, Yes Man, Bedtime Stories and Twilight. I watched Twilight and Mamma Mia mulitlple times...

The only thing that saved me was the Zicam Cold Remedy Nasal Swabs that my sweet sister in law Amy told me about. I started taking them when I knew Greg was sick. It cut my cold in half. Greg is at the same stage as me, and I only got sick on Sunday. So thanks Amy!

Sorry for all of the bad quality pictures. My camera has kicked the bucket I think. I had to use my iphone. I'll work on getting a new one asap!

Hope everyone else had a happy and HEALTHY Easter weekend!

No comments:

 

bb code
Computer Shopping