Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Vintage Christmas Experiment: Part I

Well, I decided I was going to make a fun Christmas garland like my friend Courntey's, which I posted about a few days ago. I don't think I could handle the task of putting up and taking down all of the holiday stuff that sweet Courtney has, but I thought I could handle a fun garland for our mantle and maybe a wreath.

On Sunday, when I decided I would make my own, I started gathering things to use in my decor. I found a few things with Courtney and Sarah on the way home from Granbury at an antique mall, and then I went on my own to Salvation Army and found a ton of really charming old ornaments from back in the day. I did a little more digging at a local antique store and a trip to Hobby Lobby for a little 50% off Christmas ornament filler, and I was off.

The Loot

The Loot Upclose

Since tennis was canceled, I started last night. I am sad I couldn't do it with Courtney, but she had full confidence in me and told me what I needed to do. The hardest part was the tinsel garland that I was supposed to wrap around the green garland. Wore me out.

Me hard at work...

Then I put on a red bead garland type thing, and then funky big colorful lights. I then started wiring on my ball ornaments in groups of threes, some twos and some of the big ones went on solo. I tried to do one filler ornament, one antique ornament and something funky and bright. After I put all of the ornaments I started to put on some of the little figure ornaments. This part wasn't bad.

I pretty much had to stop here last night b/c I didn't have the energy to make the giant red bow. I am kind of nervous to hang it up. It is rather heavy! I will be sure to finish it tonight and then post for all to see. I think I most liked shopping for the stuff to go on it. Shopping is a special talent of mine. :)

More to come tomorrow! I might even start the wreath!

No comments:

 

bb code
Computer Shopping